Skills & Drills: Pop Series
The Pop Series is a great individual drill to help improve stick skills for catching, passing and overall ball performance on the field. While you won’t see this move in games, it is an easy exercise that you can practice by yourself, before or after team practice, to increase your ball handling confidence.
Taylor D’Amore, an attacker for Team STX, walks you through the steps of both a basic and advanced Pop Series.
Tips for Pop Series:
- If you are a beginner, break the series into smaller steps first. Start by throwing the ball between your legs and back to the starting position. Repeat this until you get the hang out of it. Then try throwing the ball behind your back, off of your left hip and back to the starting position. Finally, toss the ball behind you, through your legs and catch it in front of you.
- Once you get the hang of each step, put them all together.
- Repetition is key for this drill.
- You want to throw the ball with light touches as quickly as possible.
Pop Series Challenge:
- Once you master the basics, take this drill to the next level by using the back of your stick to throw and catch the ball throughout the series