GET YOUR EXCLUSIVE STX CONTENT
18 Reasons I’m Thankful for the First Time I Picked Up a Lacrosse Stick
1. It’s a unique sport that instantly brings you into a tight-knit community.
2. It’s made me a better athlete in other sports — soccer, baseball, hockey, you name it! Lacrosse combines so many sports into one that you can’t help but grow.
3. The chance to be a part of something and build a legacy for future girls lacrosse players.
4. People think I’m tough with all my bruises. #battlescars
5. I could literally make my own field with all the turf I've collected in my shoes over the years.
6. All the weird but hilarious game day superstitions that only your teammates understand.
7. My headband collection. It’s bigger (and better) than Blair Waldorf’s.
8. I've learned to persevere through the hard times, both on and off of the field.
9. In photos, I’m never the one who doesn’t know what to do with her hands because I always have a lacrosse stick in my hand.
10. Seriously. I don’t even bite my nails when I’m stressed because I’ve always got my stick.
11. Some people have knitting. I have stringing.
12. All the game day selfies and team huddles.
13. The perfect excuse to eat as much spaghetti and meatballs as I want…#teamdinners
15. My calf muscles are legit.
16. My teammates keep me relevant with their workout playlists. #indie #rock #alternative #pop
17. I've met some of my absolute best friends. Injuries, road trips, locker room dance sessions, exhaustion, early morning practices, OT victories...we’ve been through it all. It’s a bond that can’t be broken.
18. It’s like there was this part of me waiting to be unleashed and when I picked up a lacrosse stick, I truly felt like me for the first time ever.
Syracuse alum and Team USA goalie Liz Hogan says lacrosse had a major impact on her journey to becoming a leader. Check out some of the lessons she’s learned along the way in What It Means to be a Leader: Lessons Learned from Liz Hogan.